Monday, March 18, 2013

Blog numero dos ( 2 )

I've struggled through most Frank Tennenbaums "Slave and Citizen" for the past 3 weeks. I realized after getting to page 3 in the online version of it that i had no interest in the book. I finally got myself a copy of the book itself and that has helped me greatly in getting to read it. I find many points made in the reading interesting and i can understand and see how it all played out and led to our present time. I am from South America and its very interesting reading about the history of the other countries and the details behind the forced "migration" of the "negros" to the Americas. Honestly i cannot tell what tone is used in "Slave and Citizen". Towards the end of the book his tone changes and this is something i wouldn't have realized without someone else pointing that out to me. He seems to become very sexual in his writing in his closing of the book. In my opinion the major claim is the difference in how slavery was viewed and treated in the northern and southern hemisphere. I agree with Tennenbaums statements that in the southern hemisphere "negro slaves" has liberties unknown to those that were in the northern hemisphere. He shows several examples of this and being someone from South America i can relate to this all slightly. In Guyana, the country in which i was born, there is still great tension between the people because of skin color, race, and simply areas where you were born and raised. Tennenbaum claims that the majority of the southern hemisphere was the "negro". I agree with tennenbaum in this claim based on the time period it was said about.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. Great response. Did you ever try printing out the PDF? Why do you think the physical book made so much difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have a strong love for the way a book feels in my hand i guess. growing up i've never liked learning things off of the internet sadly or via anything electronic related i guess. but i am enjoying the book quite a bit now haha

      Delete